Saturday, June 30, 2018

Reading; The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

I found an old friend while browsing at the Friends of the Library used bookstore.



The copy I found for $3.00 is an old book club version. Ray Bradbury (1920 - 2012) wrote it around 1949. Actually he wrote it for many, many years before that and finally pulled all the pieces together into one book.

The book has been printed continuously since 1950. The imagery is amazing. The sand ships still paint the same pictures in my mind they did when I first read this book in high school.

It is so much more than a science fiction book. Have you read it?

And book clubs. The Doubleday Book Club still exists. Wish books weren't quite so expensive. I about choked while wandering the Barnes and Noble bookstore. It's the last physical bookstore that sells new books here. There are only two used bookstores left on Maui. What made me choke? A paperback book for $18.00. I'm sure our Barnes and Noble will close soon. The company is doing horribly and it's just a bad time for bookstores everywhere. My son in Goleta (Santa Barbara, California) has to drive about 30 minutes to get to a bookstore. He's near the University of California. You'd think a "college" town could keep bookstores open, wouldn't you?


1 comment:

  1. I pretty much gave up books when I got my Kindle. I always loved books and the library but our libraries here are stocked with the world's meanest rude librarians. Haven't set foot back since 2009, what a relief. If I want a big color beautiful book, like on quilting I wait and request it from my brother for bday or Xmas, he is wonderful that way. As for clleges and bookstores, I think students want to read textbooks on their laptops, not carry a big old heavy book?

    hope your holiday was good!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete